Thursday, July 3, 2014

My Organic Skin Care Experiment


My skin is an ongoing struggle for me. Before you ask, yes I go to the dermatologist every year, so I have talked to a professional. However, I decided I would start an experiment on my skin, and I thought I would share my experience with you.


Let me start out by introducing you to my skin. Let's start with a history lesson. My parents both had acne when they were teenagers, so it was almost inevitable that I would as well. I would explain my skin's current state as oily in the t-zone (forehead, nose, and chin), slightly dry on my cheeks, all over acne prone, and sensitive. I have tried a LOT of products to try to help my acne, but nothing sufficed. I started going to the derm about a year ago and she prescribed a daily antibiotic (which I still use) and a topical cream (I also still use). The products worked...okay. I noticed a difference, by my skin was still not completely clear.

I went to the derm last week and she prescribed a different, twice a day antibiotic and the same cream. I came to the realization that I use a lot of harsh products on my skin. I had dabbled with the idea of using more natural or organic products on my skin, but my last visit to the derm really encouraged me. My goal is to be able to treat my skin well while only using natural or organic products, but for now it will be half and half until I can control it.

I decided to start using the oil cleansing method. I had heard about it before, so I decided to do a little research on it. For those of you who don't know, this is the method of using oil to cleans your face. The first thing I thought when I heard of it was "oil...on my already oily skin?" Yes! Oil dissolves oil. That is science. So I decided I would try out this method. I found a reliable source that recommended mixing Castor oil (still trying to figure out how to pronounce this correctly) and olive oil. Castor oil works wonders at cleansing your skin. Olive oil is also great at removing makeup and moisturizing your skin. For my skin, I used a 3 to 1 ratio of castor oil and olive oil. Bellow are the steps I take when I cleans.

1. Begin by massaging the oil onto your dry face for one minute.
2. Soak a wash cloth in hot water and lay it on your face, patting it gently to absorb the oil. (Re-wet the cloth and repeat).
3. Wipe away an access oil from your face.

One of the great benefits of this method is that it is a fantastic time saver. I find I only have to do this at night (I just splash my face with water in the mornings) and it is not necessary to use a moisturizer because the olive oil is so hydrating. I started using this method at the end of last week. At first my skin purged and I had a lot of acne (typical when starting a new skin care routine), but then it started clearing up. My face is still clearing up now and so far I really like it. I can't give a full review yet, but so far it has made my skin feel great. I'll update you all in a few weeks with a proper review, but I thought I would just share my story with you. Let's hope this routine works for me! Thank you to everyone who got to the end of my whole shpeal and is still interested.:) Keep smiling everyone.  

XO
     Molly

Picture Credit: pinterest.com

No comments:

Post a Comment